💾 Data Modeling Deep Dive
👨💼 Hello, my name is Peter the Product Manager. I'm here to help you get oriented and to give you your assignments for the day. We're going to have you working on the data for the Epic Notes app today.
So far our data has just lived in memory but we're finally ready to start persisting things to a database. We've decided to use SQLite for our database and Prisma as our ORM. You're going to need to get that all set up. Just as if you had been hired to work with us today. Throughout the workshop, you'll learn important foundational skills of full stack development like:
- Creating a Database Schema
- Managing Data Relationships
- Managing Data Migrations
- Seeding Data
- Generating Seed Data
- Querying Data
- Updating Data
- Writing Raw SQL
- Optimizing your models for query performance
It's a big job and there's lots to do, so, let's get started!
You'll be running a lot of terminal commands in this workshop. These terminal commands need to be run from the
playground directory of the project. Any
exceptions will be noted.
🦉 Prisma Tips:
- If your development database ever gets in a bad state, you can always delete the database file itself and prisma will recreate it for you next time you run something. (Note that you'll lose all your data if you do this, but we're working with fake data anyway so it's fine... Just don't do this with your production database 😅).
- Install the VSCode extension for Prisma for syntax highlighting, formatting, and linting of your Prisma Schema